Andrzej Bieniek, MD, Ph.D.Dr Andrzej Bieniek graduated from Medical Faculty of Wrocław Medical University and received a licence to practice medicine in 1985. He obtained the first degree specialization in general surgery and in 1994, he became a second-degree specialist in plastic surgery. Two years later he received a PhD degree in medical sciences, awarded for the paper on biocompatibility and mechanical strength of the new corundum-composite material in terms of its clinical application. In 2012 he received a post-doctoral title (habilitation degree) for dissertation on his own modifications of Mohs micrographic surgery treatment in skin cancers.
He has gained his professional experience at general surgery department of Ludwik Rydygier’s Hospital and plastic surgery department of the Railway Hospital in Wrocław. He is the head of the plastic surgery department at Dermatology, Venereology and Allergology Clinic of Wrocław Medical University.
EDUCATION AND FELLOWSHIPS
- In the course of his medical practice he has used every opportunity to improve his professional skills by taking part in numerous internships and training courses in plastic surgery centres, including the following:
- 1992 Burns, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department of the Rhenish-Westphalian Technical University Clinic in Aachen,
- 1992 Hand Surgery Department of Trauma Hospital in Hamburg,
- 1992 Plastic Surgery Department of St. Mark’s Hospital in Frankfurt,
- 1992 Plastic Surgery Department of St. Anthony’s Hospital in Paris,
- 1994 Facial Plastic Surgery Department of St. Mary’s Hospital in Stuttgart,
- 1995 Dermato-surgical Centre in Trieste,
- 1995 Dermatologic Surgery Department of the Technical University Clinic in Dresden,
- 1998 Plastic Surgery Department of St. Agatha’s Hospital in Köln,
- 2002 Dermatologic Surgery Department of Dermatology Clinic of the Ludwig Maximilian’s University in Munich,
- 2004 Mohs Cancer Surgery Laboratory at Medical Surgical Dermatology Department of Alameda Health Centre in Lisbon,
- 2009 Dermatologic Surgery Department of St. Katherine Hospital in Eindhoven,
- 2010 Surgical Dermatology Department of the University of Tübingen,
- 2012 Dermatologic Surgery and Burns Treatment Department of the University of Debrecen,
- 2014 Mohs Surgery Centre at Assut’s Hospital in Tel Aviv,
Now he shares his knowledge and experience with the students of Wrocław Medical University, where he works as a lecturer. He received 3 team awards granted by the Rector of Wrocław Medical University for the following books which he co-authored: ‘Podstawowy kurs chirurgii skóry’ (Basic Course in Skin Surgery), ‘Tumescencyjne znieczulenie nasiękowe i jego zastosowanie we współczesnej chirurgii’ (Tumescent Infiltration Anaesthesia and its Application in Modern Surgery) and ‘Nowotwory skóry – klinika, patologa, leczenie’(Skin Neoplasms – Clinic, Pathology, Treatment). He introduced many hitherto unknown in Poland innovative methods of treatment, such as tumescent anaesthesia, treatment of skin tumours by means Mohs methods and novel approaches to acne inversa treatment.